Opportunities for Student Input

Student Advisory Board

The primary purposes of the CSD Student Advisory Board (SAB) shall be:

The Board will furthermore assist with the establishment of department policies relating to these purposes.

Student Complaints and Concerns

Students are encouraged to reach out to individual faculty or clinical educators for resolutions to complaints and concerns.  If there is not a satisfactory resolution and/or there are still unresolved complaints or concerns, undergraduate students should contact the Interim Department Chairperson and graduate students should contact the Program Director to discuss the process for submitting a Student Concern Form.  The Program Director reports to the Interim Department Chairperson, who reports to the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences, who reports to the Provost. 

If Department-level resolution is not satisfactory, students may avail themselves of the Conflict Resolution: Student Grievance procedures offered through the Dean of Students: https://deanofstudents.illinoisstate.edu/conflict/resolution/.


Procedures for Complaints Against Graduate Education Programs

A complaint about an accredited graduate program may be submitted by any student, instructional staff member, speech-language pathologist, audiologist, and/or member of the public to the CAA.

Complaints about programs must meet the following criteria:

  1. Be against an accredited graduate education program or program in candidacy status in audiology and/or speech language pathology

Relate to the Standards for Accreditation of Entry-Level Graduate Education Programs in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology in effect at the time that the conduct for the complaint occurred, including the relationship of the complaint to the accreditation standards

  1. Be clearly described, including the specific nature of the charge and data to support the charge.
  2. Be within the following timelines:

if the complaint is being filed by a graduate or former student, or a former faculty or staff member, the complaint must be filed within one year of separation* from the program, even if the conduct occurred more than 4 years prior to the date of filing the complaint;

if the complaint is being filed by a current student or faculty member, the complaint must be filed as soon as possible, but no longer than 4 years after the date the conduct occurred;  

if the complaint is being filed by other complainants, the conduct must have occurred at least in part within 4 years prior to the date the complaint is filed.

*Note: For graduates, former students, or former faculty or staff filing a complaint, the date of separation should be the date on which the individual was no longer considered a student in or employee of the graduate program (i.e., graduation, resignation, official notice of withdrawal or termination), and after any institutional grievance or other review processes have been concluded.

Specific procedures for filing a Graduate Education Program Complaint can be found on the Council on Academic Accreditation website.