Welcome to the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Dr. Lisa Vinney
- CURRENT COURSES
- CSD 413.Sec 001 Assessment and Management of Voice and Resonance Disorders
- CSD 299.Sec 006 Independent Honor Study
- CSD 499.Sec 003 Independent Research For The Master'S Thesis
- CSD 287.Sec 006 Independent Study
- CSD 400.Sec 008 Independent Study
- CSD 248.Sec 001 Speech Science
- CSD 316.Sec 001 The Voice And Its Disorders
- TEACHING INTERESTS
- normal and disordered voice, counseling, models of treatment/motor learning applied to therapy, medical speech-language pathology
- RESEARCH INTERESTS
- The role of self-regulatory capacity, personality, and task variables on vocal behavior modification;The effect of self-regulatory exercises on vocal behavior change; Vocal health education and preventative care; The influence of voice on impressions
- Ph D Communication Sciences and Disorders / Voice Science - 2013
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Madison, Wisconsin
- Dissertation/Thesis topic: The Role of Self-regulation in the Modification of Vocal Behavior during Reading and Speech
- MS Speech-Language Pathology - 2006
- University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Madison, Wisconsin
- BS Speech-language Pathology and Psychology - 2004
- Northwestern University
- Evanston, IL
- Dissertation/Thesis topic: The Positive Side of Negative Scenes: Patterns of Life Narrative and the Relationship to Healthy Functioning During Midlife
- SELECTED PUBLICATIONS
Vinney L.A. & Friberg J.C. (2017). The laryngeal cancer care team: Diagnosis through treatment. In Friberg J.C. & Vinney, L.A. (Eds.) Laryngeal Cancer: An Interdisciplinary Resource for Practitioners. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Publishing, Inc.
Friberg, J. C. & Vinney, L.A. (Eds.). (2017). Laryngeal cancer: An interdisciplinary resource guide for practitioners. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Publishing, Inc.
Vinney, L.A, & Harvey, J.M.T. (in press). Bridging the Gap: An Integrated Approach to Facilitating Foundational Learning of Neuroanatomy and Neurophysiology in Graduate-Level Speech-Language Pathology Coursework. Journal of Teaching and Learning in Communication Sciences and Disorders.
Vinney, L.A. (2016). The Limited Resource View of Self-regulation: Implications for Vocal Behavior Change, Perspectives on Voice and Voice Disorders, 1, 105-111.
Vinney L.A., van Mersbergan, M., Connor, N.P., & Turksta L.S. (2016). Vocal control: Is it susceptible to the negative effects of self-regulatory depletion? Journal of Voice, 30(5), 21-31.
Vinney L.A., Howles L., Leverson G., & Connor N.P. (2016). Augmenting college students' study of speech-language pathology using computer-based mini quiz games. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 25(3), 416-425.
Vinney LA & Turkstra LS (2013). The role of self-regulation in voice therapy. Journal of Voice, 27(3), 390.e1-390.e11
Vinney LA & Connor NP (2012). Structure and Function of the Laryngeal and Pharyngeal Muscles. In McLoon, LK and Andrade, F (Eds.), Craniofacial Muscles: A New Framework for Understanding the Effector Side of Craniofacial Muscle Control (pp. 141-166). New York: Springer.
Vinney LA, Grade J, & Connor NP (2012). Feasibility of using a handheld electronic device for the collection of patient reported outcomes data from children. Journal of Communication Disorders, 45,12-19.
Ciucci MR, Russell JA, Schaser AJ, Doll EJ, Vinney LA, Connor NP (2011). Tongue force and timing deficits in a rat model of Parkinson disease. Behavioral Brain Research, 222(2), 315-20.
Ciucci MR, Vinney LA, Wahoske EJ, & Connor NP (2010). A translational approach to vocalization deficits and neural recovery after behavioral treatment in Parkinson disease. Journal of Communication Disorders, 43(4): 319-26.
Friberg, J. & Vinney, L.A (2016, October). Learning to Tell the Story of Laryngeal Cancer through an Innovative Independent Study Experience. Oral presentation at the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Los Angeles, CA.Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
Friberg, J., Vinney, L.A., & Smyers, M. (2016, October). Reflecting on the Co-Inquirer Relationship: Navigating the Water of SoTL Research. Oral presentation at the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
Vinney, L.A. & Verdolini-Abbott, K. (2016, May). Applications for Raptivity in the University Classroom. Webinar presented through Harbinger Knowledge Products Ltd.
Vinney, L.A. (2016, April). Voice disorders in children and adults: A case-based approach to discussing the role of the SLP from prevention to management. Workshop presented at the Iowa Conference of Communicative Disorders, Cedar Falls, IA.
- Smith, J., Vinney, L. & Rich, K. (2016, January). Allowing anything to happen: A transdisciplinary investigation of students’ experiences with Fitzmaurice Voicework. Poster presentation at the 2016 Teaching and Learning Symposium, Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
- Friberg, J.C., Ginsberg, S., Visconti, C., Fischer, M. Vinney, L.A., Lemoncello, R., & Bernard, A. (2015, November). SoTL and research productivity: A view across the academic lifespan. Panel presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Convention, Denver, CO.
- Vinney, C. & Vinney, L.A.(2015, August). The effect of familiarity on perceptions of parasocial interactions with media voices. Poster presentation at the American Psychological Association Convention, Toronto, Canada.
- Van Mersbergen, M. & Vinney L.A. (2015, February) The research-clinic relationship: Boxing or dancing? Oral presentation at the Wisconsin Speech-Language-Hearing Association Conference, Appleton, Wisconsin.
- Friberg, J.C., Harbers, H., Harvey, J.H., & Vinney, L.A (2015, January).Cross-curricular approaches to improve student learning in CSD. Oral presentation at the 2014 Teaching and Learning Symposium, Illinois State University, Normal, IL.
- Vinney, L.A., van Mersbergan, M., Connor N.P, & Turkstra, L.S. (2014, November).Self-regulation and vocal behavior: The challenges of consciously controlling the voice.Oral presentation at the American Speech-Language-Hearing Convention, Orlando, FL.
- FUNDED GRANTS
- Walk the Talk SoTL Award
- Cross-Chair for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning